One of my favourite flavour combinations has to be apple and cinnamon. I’m a bit cinnamon mad – I get through a bottle very quickly. I’ve read that cinnamon helps to stabilise blood sugar levels, and have noticed that many over-the-counter supplements for Diabetes contain cinnamon extract as their active ingredient.
Cinnamon in this recipe can be used to your taste – add more for a spicier flavour, or less if you want a more subtle warmth.
Protein-Enriched Apple and Cinnamon Loaf
- 3 cups wholewheat flour
- 1 scoop (30g) protein powder (flavour of your choice)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup brown sugar, or the equivalent amount of your choice of sweetener
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp caramel essence (if you don’t have caramel, vanilla will work)
- Combine the flour, protein powder, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and sugar in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl or jug, beat together the eggs, milk, water, apple sauce and caramel essence.
- Pour the liquid mixture onto the dry mixture and mix with a fork till combined.
- Bake in a prepared loaf tin at 180/350 degrees for 40 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool.
NB. If you’re not a fan of protein powder in baking (or if you don’t have any) simply omit it and reduce the apple sauce to ¾ cup.
I ate a couple of slices fresh from the oven! I left one slice plain and topped the other with peanut butter. It was soft and delicious – the quantity of apple sauce prevents it from going dry as a result of the protein powder. I think it would taste yummy toasted too.
Well, I’m off to do my hour of Pilates! Enjoy your day!