On Saturday I went on my first ever hike. Cuan and I walked 9km through the forest with friends. Afterwards we made a fire and had a good old South African Braai. It was GREAT fun. I thought I’d share some pictures with you.
A few things I learnt on my first hike:
- Wear PROPER hiking shoes. They provide ankle and arch support that normal shoes do not. Walking for long periods without proper support can cause knee, hip and ankle injuries (take my word for it – I hurt my knee after 9K of walking in trainers!)
- Take snacks. A mixture of nuts, dried fruit and dark chocolate is delicious and energy dense, helping fuel your journey without having to carry heavy items on your back.
- Take plenty of water. But PACE YOURSELF! Don’t drink it all in the first km, or you’ll be left thirsty and stuck in the forest with a full bladder!
- Take a roll of toilet paper. Just in case you don’t heed the above.
- Take a camera. There’s SO much to see on a hike – it’s nice to go home with a few snaps.
- Wear comfortable, weather-appropriate clothing. Shorts and tank-top in warm weather, cargo pants and a T-shirt in cooler months. Take a lightweight waterproof jacket in case of rain.
And finally, now is your last chance to help Japan by taking part in an online bake sale! Head over here and place your bid now!
Well, that’s all for today. Hope you’re all doing well!