Based on April’s Zucchini Brownies
- ¾ cup egg whites
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (pureed butternut or carrot will also work fine)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup soy flour
- ¾ cup wheat bran
- 2 scoops protein powder (chocolate flavour for me, but I’m sure that vanilla or even plain would work fine too. I used the most gross protein powder ever and it wasn’t at all noticeable!)
- ½ cup granular sugar substitute (Sweet-a-Vita’s stevia and erithritol blend for me) or pure powdered stevia to taste (you won’t need much if using the pure stevia – probably about a teaspoon or less)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Large pinch of salt
- Small pinch each of baking powder and baking soda
- About 100g beetroot (1 root, peeled and grated)
- Preheat oven to 180/350/Gas 4. Line an 8×8 square pan with baking parchment/greaseproof paper and spray lightly with non-stick spray.
- Mix all ingredients together until thoroughly combined (best to add the beetroot last, so that you can get the rest of the batter smooth).
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.