Low-Carb Chocolate Muffins
Made 11 muffins at just over 1g carbs each
- 1/3 cup (30g) soya protein isolate
- 1/3 cup (55g) gluten flour*
- 20g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 3 eggs
- 5 tbsp oil (I used sunflower oil)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- ¼ – ½ tsp almond essence (or other flavouring of choice – I love the combination of chocolate and almond!)
- Stevia or your favourite sweetener to taste
*Gluten Flour is not just plain old wheat flour, but rather a flour made up entirely of gluten – the protein found in wheat, oats, barley and rye. As a result, gluten flour is high in protein and has hardly any carbs.
- Combine the first five ingredients by dry-whisking in a mixing bowl.
- In a jug, whisk together the oil, eggs, vanilla and almond essence. Pour onto dry ingredients and begin to lightly combine with a fork.
- Add the water and mix until smooth, thick and paste-like. You may need a couple of extra tablespoons.
- Pour into greased muffin tins and make for 10-15 minutes at 170-180. I baked for 15 minutes but next time will do 10 so that they’re a bit more moist in the middle.
N.B. These are NOT low fat or low calorie.