Perfect Pumpkin Bread
- 2 eggs
- 7.5 oz pumpkin puree
- 200ml sugar-free applesauce (I used a jar of baby food!)
- 50 ml oil (sunflower, olive, coconut – you choose. Alternatively, you could try omitting this and upping the applesauce to 250ml)
- 1/3 cup orange juice (about 1 orange’s worth. For an extra, aromatic kick of orange, finely grate the zest and add to the dry ingredients)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups wholemeal flour of choice (I used a mixture of wheat, barley and buckwheat)
- 3 tsp (1 tbsp) baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup granular sugar substitute (such as stevia, xylitol, erithritol or splenda – make sure it’s equivalent to sugar in volume and sweetness)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp granular sugar substitute
- 1 tbsp each pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and flaxseeds.
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180/350. Spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray, or line with greaseproof paper and brush with oil.
- In a medium bowl or jug, beat together the wet ingredients till smooth and well-combined.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients till well-combined (I’m too lazy to sift, so I just dry whisk everything to get rid of lumps and ensure even distribution of ingredients).
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix together with a fork till well combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf tin.
- Blitz topping ingredients in a blender until seeds are ground but still fairly chunky. Spread this mixture over the top of the unbaked loaf.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. The topping should be dark brown in colour, but not burnt!